Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Rise of the Bucket Hat

Thanks to HBO’s Hard Knocks, a documentary series that follows an NFL team through their preseason preparation (I highly recommend it), I have come face-to-face with the rise of the bucket hat.  Atlanta Falcons’ Defensive Line Coach Bryan Cox sports a yellow polo and matching bucket hat, while a trio of rookies rock bucket hats to the Georgia Aquarium to swim with whale sharks, no less.  But the bucket has roots beyond the NFL locker room.


Image via Complex


Be it hip hop personalities (LL Cool J, Cam’ron, Trinidad James or Schoolboy Q) or famed television characters (Gilligan of Gilligan’s Island), the bucket hat has its fair share of devotees.  Schoolboy Q, of #songofthesummer “Studio” fame, explains his affinity for the floppy hat in an interview with Complex: “I was walking through the mall, saw a bucket hat, put it on, looked in the mirror, and told my homie, ‘This motherfucker’s hard.’ He agreed and I bought it. I wore it for a week, never took it off. I kept buying bucket hats. Next thing I knew, I felt like I didn’t look right without one.” Now, there you have it.

Even the luxury market caters to the style.  Just a quick online search reveals several logo-emblazoned versions from Gucci to Fendi to Louis Vuitton.  As long as you have $300 to drop, you too can join the ranks of fisherman turned fashion statement.

As High Snobiety puts it, “Why fuck about with a five panel when you can get 360 degree peak protection?”


Image via Complex

Image via Complex

Image via Grantland

Image via Complex

Image via Complex

Image via Complex

Image via Complex

Image via Fresh Take Sports

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Otis Unfiltered

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig