Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hip-Hop x Fine Art = EVERYTHING


There are two constants in my life: art and hip-hop.  Indoctrinated into the "art world" from birth via my parents who collect --and not just cool looking $40 prints like the lot I have amassed-- I myself have grown fond of art, whether it be gallery hopping in Chelsea, minoring in Art History in college or more recently hoarding art supplies from Michaels for my own projects.  And hip-hop, don't get me started.  First, there was the throwback hip-hop playlist with classics like "Holidae Inn" and "Right Thurr."  Then there was the admission to my religious watching of 106 & Park in middle school (read about both here).  And today it was reaffirmed when with "Money Baby" by KCamp playing in the background, my mom said, "You are just a ratchet girl at heart," referencing my penchant for the likes of YG and Sage the Gemini.

Well, they say if you can't beat em, join 'em, which is exactly what Fly Art and Carter Family Portraits have managed to do -combine my two loves, art and hip-hop, masterfully.  They have reworked works from the art historical canon with contemporary figures and lyrics from hip hop, thereby making the old feel new again.  For the non art history buffs, I have included the original work details.

But the best news of all? You can purchase these works as prints, T-shirts, sweatshirts, iPhone cases and more here and here (and follow them on Insta here). You know I have four T-shirts en route. Thank God for online shopping!

The Old Guitarist (1903), Pablo Picasso


Girl with a Pearl Earring (1665), Johannes Vermeer

Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe, Édouard Manet (1962-3)

Fitch sisters (1800), John Singleton Copley / Right Above It, Lil Wayne ft. Drake

Chestnut Tree in Blossom (1887), Vincent van Gogh / Money Trees, Kendrick Lamar ft. Jay Rock

The Three Graces (1639), Peter Paul Rubens / Dance (A$$) Remix, Big Sean ft. Nicki Minaj
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Otis Unfiltered

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig