These kind of statements tend to be polarizing...and the type you'd find on Buzzfeed -comical exaggerations purely orchestrated for page views, but nevertheless, here they are, and I believe in them unequivocally. Plus, when you're justifying moving from a place in which you honestly can't recall the last time it rained to a place most recently known for its polar vortexes, you have to have reason.
2. People don't conceive of a start up T-shirt and cargo shorts as an acceptable outfit in which to leave the house.
3. Public transportation. Enough said.
4. Dominican hair salons. I'm sorry, San Francisco, but your 6% black population (and rapidly declining) is doing nothing for my new growth.
5. Housing is expensive but not impossible.
6. Net-a-Porter has same day shipping.
7. Maybe this is unique to Palo Alto, but walk-in nail salons are not a foreign concept and don't cost the down payment on a new car.
8. Temperature doesn't swing 30-40 degrees, rendering your a.m. outfit impractical merely two hours later.
9. Seamless. 24/7.
10. Sample Sales -- just a quick look on Racked.com and you'll find yourself in sample sale Mecca (e.g. Alexander Wang, Rag & Bone, Dannijo).
11. Movies premiere here first.
12. Culture: SF MOMA is closed for the next 2 years? Meanwhile in New York, we have the Chelsea art galleries, MOMA, Guggenheim, Whitney, Brooklyn Museum, Jewish Museum, need I say more? Oh and don't forget about Broadway, Lincoln Center and the Apollo Theater.