Monday, March 3, 2014

#ManCrushMonday

On March 3, 2014, there were 39,921,259 posts uploaded to Instagram with the hashtag, “mcm,” an abbreviation for Man Crush Monday in which users upload pictures of their crushes, typically celebrities but occasionally boyfriends and for the most emboldened among us a real-life crush.  Its counterpart Woman Crush Wednesday reigns equally as popular yet both distant seconds to the holy grail that is Throwback Thursday.

From top left to right: Channing Tatum, Christian Bale, Chris Evans, Pharell, Cam Newton, Dave Franco, James Marsden, Michael Ealy, Tyson Beckford

I never thought much of the harmless recognition of celebrities until I heard that Australian rapper Iggy Azalea met her current boyfriend and Los Angeles Laker Nick Young via a Woman Crush Wednesday post.  It began innocently enough on September 11, 2013 when Young tweeted, “#WCW would have to be Iggy Azalea.”  A few mentions back and forth, and the rest is history!
Iggy Azalea and Nick Young via GQ
This got me thinking.  If Nick can do it, I can do it to.  So here’s to my newfound courage with which I confidently shout out to my man crushes on this glorious Monday.  I’ll let you know if Cam gets back to me.


1 comment: